Housed in New College at The University of Alabama, the Levitetz Seed Grant initiative is one part of the Levitetz Leadership Program (LLP) made possible through the generous gift of New College alumnus, Jeff Levitetz. All UA students are eligible to apply for grants to create a new or to further develop an existing business idea, social entrepreneurship project, or creative project. Two levels of funding are available: Small Grant (up to $1,000) and Large Grant (up to $3,000). To be eligible for the large grant, you must have received previous funding for an existing project. Students receiving funding last year are eligible to re-apply this year.
Seed grant recipients will participate in a formal presentation of their project in front of judges on March 24, 2023. Additionally, funded students must participate in monthly workshops in the Spring semester and submit a final report by August 30, 2023. Applications are due October 7, 2022. For more information, contact Dr. Natalie Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ashley Wilder (email@example.com).
All University of Alabama students are eligible to receive funding. Complete the application form below. You will need to provide a full description of your project, budget information, and names of any team members. Given the length of the application, we do not recommend completing it on a mobile device.
Applications are due October 7, 2022. Selected recipients will be contacted by October 28, 2022.
Innovation Seed Grant Application
Copy of Seed Grant Application for review only.
Your proposal will be evaluated on:
- General fit with the goals and mission of the Levitetz Leadership Program
- Creativity: In what ways is this project unique or innovative?
- Impact: In what ways will this project impact the intended community/audience/market?
- Feasibility: Does the proposal show evidence of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to make this project happen within the time given?
- Strong preference will be given to students in the College of Arts & Sciences, students pursuing a minor in Civic Engagement or Leadership, or teams that include these students.
Examples of past funded projects include:
- New businesses
- New after-school programs
- Art installations
- Musical scores
- New Non-profit organizations
Seed Grant Workshops
In-Person & Virtual Option(s)
- September 21st “So, You Want to be an Influencer” with Amy Pirkle @ 5:30 p.m. in Lloyd Hall 329 or Join Zoom Meeting
- November 17th “Your Hidden Competitive Advantages: Cash Flow Management & Relationships” with Katherine Zobre @ 5:30 p.m. in Lloyd Hall 227 or Join Zoom Meeting
- January 11th “Resources with the Edge” workshop with Theresa Welbourne with The EDGE @ 5 p.m. in Lloyd Hall 329 or Join Zoom Meeting
- February 9th “How to Give a Pitch” with Holland Hopson @ 5 p.m. in Lloyd Hall 329 or Join Zoom Meeting
- March 7th Seed Grant Social @ 5 p.m. in Lloyd Hall 328, RSVP here.
- March 24, 2023 – Levitetz Leadership & Innovation Day (Project Presentations), RSVP here.
October 7, 2022 – Seed Grant Applications Due
November 17, 2022 @ 5 p.m. – Mandatory Seed Grant Orientation
February 9, 2023 @ 5 p.m. – Mandatory Seed Grant Workshop “How to Give a Pitch” with Amy Pirkle
March 7, 2023 @ 5 p.m. Levitetz Leadership Program Seed Grant Social, RSVP here.
March 24, 2023 – Levitetz Leadership & Innovation Day (Project Presentations), RSVP here.
April 13 – 14, 2023 Edward K. Aldag Business Plan Competition (optional, but strongly encouraged attendance)
August 30, 2023 – Submit Final Report for your project.
Virtual Information Sessions will be held:
- September 26th with Holland Hopson @ 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. Join Zoom Meeting
- September 29th with Natalie Adams @ 4 p.m. – 5 p.m. Join Zoom Meeting
- October 5th with Vincent Willis @ 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. Join Zoom Meeting
Seed Grant Recipients
2023 Seed Grant Recipients Page
2022 Seed Grant Recipients Page
2021 Seed Grant Recipients Page
2020 Seed Grant Recipients Page
2019 Seed Grant Recipients Page
Levitetz Leadership & Innovation Day
2022 Levitetz Leadership & Innovation Day: 2022 Levitetz Leadership & Innovation Day , 2022 Schedule of Events, & 2022 Levitetz Leadership Program.
2019 Levitetz Pitch Competition: 2019 Levitetz Pitch Competition Video